How to create texture in your resin using filler and potpourri
For this piece I was asked to create a ‘Rainforest’, I wasn’t given any other instructions, other than the person liked a beach artwork I had previously created and that they were happy for me to come up with something. So this is what I have come up with.
For the texture in the background, I used multipurpose filler and used my fingers to ‘stipple’ the effect. The trees were also constructed from the multipurpose filler. The background was painted before applying the resin. As for the foliage, potpourri was used to create the extra texture and depth.
Materials used in this project:
- MDF panel at 1220 x 610mm (9mm thick) an 18mm brace is applied to the back, to strengthen and create the illusion of the board floating off the wall.
- Ready Mixed Multipurpose Filler from Viking – Alternative products from Amazon:
https://amzn.to/2FBLAlW – AU*
https://amzn.to/2Ugpmhu – UK*
- Artisue Pigment Powders – Emerald, Lime, Black and Sparkle White
- DecoArt Dazzling Metallics – Venetian Gold
https://amzn.to/2FCefqP – AU*
https://amzn.to/2HEZZ2L – US*
https://amzn.to/2TybsTd – UK*
- Reeves – Iridescent Medium
https://amzn.to/2FAf9nS – AU*
https://amzn.to/2TutiGR – US*
https://amzn.to/2Udi65K – UK*
- Whites – Super Gold Spray Paint – Alternative Product from Amazon:
https://amzn.to/2FARBPF – AU*
https://amzn.to/2Fz5OMP – US*
https://amzn.to/2TyIBhH – UK*
- Resin from U Resin
- Potpourri from a local discount shop – Alternative Product from Amazon:
https://amzn.to/2HGKMxo – US*
https://amzn.to/2OnLpgw – UK*
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
https://amzn.to/2FzBKAW – AU*
https://amzn.to/2TclwBi – US*
https://amzn.to/2HHOkjB – UK*
* Note – As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I realise that not everyone has access to the shops I have locally, so I have taken the time to find alternative products on Amazon and provide you with links to Amazon stores in the US, UK and Australia (if available). Please also note, I haven’t personally tried all of the product links, due to location, however, my aim is to help speed up your creative process by providing these links. Every time you click on a link and purchase a qualifying item, I receive a small commission, this payment helps to keep my tutorials free for you to watch.
I hope this video has sparked your creativity and has inspired to create your own resin painting, complete with texture.
Visual Artist and Designer
Sue Findlay is a visual artist and designer who lives in Perth, Western Australia.
Sue loves push the boundaries of resin and mixed media in order to bring you new and interesting ways to inspire your creativity.